Winter is a perfect time to try out new soup recipes. There’s something about this ultimate comfort food that makes us feel warm and cozy inside. Whether coming in from the cold, or recovering from a cold, there are many soup ingredients that benefit your eye health. Red bell peppers and tomatoes are two vegetables that carry health benefits like protecting against eye diseases, including cataracts and age-related macular degeneration. Tomatoes are also a rich source of lycopene, lutein and beta-carotene, all antioxidants that protect the eyes against light-induced damage.
This Roasted Red Pepper Gazpacho is a Spanish style soup that is packed full of vitamins and nutrients to support your eye health. This recipe, along with many eye health options can be found in the American Macular Degeneration Foundation’s Eat Right For Your Sight cookbook.
- 2 red bell peppers, roasted, peeled & seeded
- 2 medium tomatoes, cored and diced
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 6 large radishes, medium-diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Place half the vegetables, along with all the tomato juice, in a blender and puree until smooth. Transfer to a bowl. Add the remaining vegetables, cilantro, lime juice, salt and cumin and stir to blend. Chill. Season to taste. Serve cold.