Keeping your glasses clean and disinfected is important to extend the life of your lenses and protect them from scratches and smudges that get in the way of seeing clearly. However, one of the most important reasons to disinfect your specs right now is because it is a surface that is touched many times throughout the day and can transfer bacteria and viruses like COVID-19 to your eyes, nose, and mouth.
How to Clean Your Glasses
Before you clean your glasses, be sure to wash and dry your hands thoroughly. Always clean your glasses with a warm water rinse first that can include a drop of lotion-free dishwashing liquid on each lens. Dry with a clean, soft microfiber lens cloth (be sure to periodically wash your lens cloth with laundry soap and water – no fabric softener). Spray eyeglass cleaners are another great way to properly clean your lenses, especially when you are on the go.
Pay attention to other parts on your glasses as well, like the nose pads. Nose pads harbor dust, debris, and moisture build-up. This can also occur where the frame meets the lens. Clean your glasses daily, or as needed throughout the day.
Keep your glasses in a case with the lenses facing upward when they’re not being worn for proper protection.
The List of Don’ts
- Don’t wipe your lenses while they are dry. This can cause scratching and damage to your lens coatings.
- Don’t use your saliva or breath to clean lenses, as this is not hygienic.
- Don’t use paper towels or other cloths with fibers that can scratch lenses (like your shirt).
- Don’t use commercial cleaners that aren’t specified for your lenses, like household cleaners or rubbing alcohol.
- Avoid leaving your glasses in excessive heat.
- Do not lay your glasses on the lenses on ANY surface.
- Don’t wear your glasses while using hairspray.
If you don’t have the proper cleaning cloth or spray, don’t worry! We provide both at our practices when you purchase your glasses. You’ll walk away with everything you need to properly care for your new specs.
In the market for a new pair of glasses? Make an appointment today at one of our locations to shop our awesome selection of affordable, fashionable eyewear.